Embattled Gladys Berejiklian faces ANOTHER blow as New South Wales suffers more new coronavirus cases than Victoria with two doctors testing positive after working at a busy clinic
New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian has suffered another blow as the state recorded more new coronavirus cases than Victoria.
There are seven new cases of locally transmitted COVID-19, with a childcare centre in southwest Sydney being closed after an infected person recently attended the premises.
Two new locally acquired cases that were announced on Monday include doctors who worked at he busy A2Z Medical Clinic and were linked to a previously reported case.
NSW also reported another six COVID-19 cases in returned travellers in hotel quarantine, taking the total to 13 new infections.
New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian has suffered another blow as the state recorded more new coronavirus cases than Victoria
Meanwhile, Victoria recorded just 12 new cases on Tuesday.
NSW Health said the new cases were recorded from 8609 tests reported to 8pm on Monday night, compared with 7391 in the previous 24 hours.
The remaining five new locally acquired cases were members of the same household in southwestern Sydney and are now part of the ongoing investigation into four previously reported unlinked cases, including a nurse from St Vincent’s Hospital.
NSW Health said one of the new cases was a disability support worker who had worked at three small group homes in southwestern Sydney.
Contact tracing and investigations with seven clients and their staff was underway.
Another one of these new cases attended the Great Beginnings Oran Park childcare centre on October 1, 2, 8 and 9 while infectious.
The centre is closed and contact tracing is underway.
NSW Health said the five new cases provided a link between the four previously unlinked cases that included a nurse from St Vincent’s Hospital, and a previously reported cluster of five people in southwestern Sydney linked with Liverpool Hospital.
The 14 people reported between October 8 and Tuesday were now linked, it said.
A recent drop in testing numbers remains a concern for authorities who are urging anyone with symptoms, particularly in west and southwest Sydney, to get tested.
There are seven new cases of locally transmitted COVID-19 in NSW (Beachgoers at Brighton Le-Sands over the weekend)
Earlier a health alert was issued for anyone who was at takeaway food shop Ali Dine Inn and Take Away Lakemba last Friday between 7:30pm and 8:30pm.
Anyone who attended the A2Z medical centre between September 25 and 28 should also be tested immediately, but as the full 14 days since exposure has elapsed they don’t need to isolate if they test negative.
An infected patient also attended the ISRA medical practice in Lakemba, and anyone who attended between October 5 at 6pm to October 6 at 6am is considered a casual contact and must monitor for symptoms and get tested immediately if symptoms develop and must remain in isolation until a negative test result is received.
NSW Health has established a pop-up clinic at Lakemba to deal with the cluster.