ES News email

A coronavirus testing centre in Kent was closed to make way for a post-Brexit lorry park, according to reports.

Testing at the railway station car park in Ebbsfleet was suspended earlier this month. It is said to have had capacity for about 2,000 tests a day and 15 people lost their jobs after it closed.

A leaked letter from Kent County Council, seen by KentOnline, stated: “We have … been notified that the Ebbsfleet testing centre has closed, as the site is required by HMRC for EU Exit.”

It is understood the car park serving Ebbsfleet International is being considered for use as a site to carry out customs checks of cross-Channel lorries after the Brexit transition period ends on December 31.

Covid-19 testing at the site began in April but staff were told “out of the blue” earlier this month that the centre was closing.

Dartford councillor Sacha Gosine, who represents the area at district level, told KentOnline that it would be a “logistical nightmare” for officials and warned that it would cause chaos on the M25 if there was a crash near the Dartford Tunnel.

A Government spokesman said: “Regional testing sites were set up at great speed and selected for their immediate availability, security and access.

“The regional testing site at Ebbsfleet has ceased operations and a new regional testing site is operating at Curtis Way, Rochester. The relocation will allow the network to continue operating as long as needed.

“In July 2020, the Government committed to spending £470 million on new border infrastructure to support ports in building extra capacity to meet the new control requirements where there is space to do so, and, if necessary, to build additional inland sites across the country where checks can take place.

“Final decisions on inland sites will not be made until we have established the extent of new infrastructure that will be delivered at ports.”

MPs approve giving Brexit Bill a second reading

Eurostar announced earlier this month that its trains will not resume serving Ebbsfleet International until 2022 due to the collapse in demand caused by the pandemic. Domestic Southeastern trains continue to call at the station.

It comes as the Government admitted it is preparing for the “reasonable worst-case” scenario for next year as a leaked report warned of queues of 7,000 lorries in Kent and significant delays to cross into the EU.

A confidential document prepared by the Cabinet Office’s Border and Protocol Delivery Group, and seen by The Guardian, also predicts thousands of passengers could have to wait an additional two hours for Eurostar trains.

A Cabinet Office spokeswoman said in a statement the Government was using a “stretching scenario” as opposed to a prediction.

Leading union Unite warned on Monday that Britain’s ports would be plunged into “chaos and confusion” in the new year unless customs systems and lorry parks are completed.

The union said lorry drivers feared the complex computer software to deal with customs would not be ready by December 31, adding most of the planned lorry parks were still to be built.

Additional reporting by PA Media.